2017 GAMAA Winners and Finalists. Photograph by Patricia Jannides Photography, courtesy of Museums & Galleries QLD.
Winners and Finalists
Museums & Galleries Queensland announced the Winners and Finalists of the 2017 GAMAA on 2 November at a gala event, proudly hosted by Old Government House, QUT.
The Winners received an exquisite trophy specially commissioned from Queensland artist, Lincoln Austin, made possible through the generous sponsorship of Brian Tucker Accounting.
Congratulations to all the Winners and Finalists for their outstanding achievement in being selected for a GAMAA.
Click on name to find out more about the nomination.
Projects: Organisations with Paid Staff
WINNER: Cairns Historical Society for Reimagining Cairns Museum
- Yugambeh Museum Language & Heritage Research Centre, Beenleigh for The Bunyip Story
- Museum of Brisbane for Robert Andrew: Our Mutable Histories
- Gold Coast City Gallery for Signs of the Time
Engagement: Organisations with Paid Staff
JOINT WINNER: Queensland Museum Network for World Science Festival Brisbane 2017
JOINT WINNER: Logan Art Gallery for lesu ra mir giz (FROM THE BEGINNING) ge omaida (WHEN THE GOSPEL CAME) Mer ge baziarda (IT TOOK ROOT IN ERUB) igiare Torres Strait (AND BRANCHED OUT TO THE WHOLE OF THE TORRES STRAIT)
- Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology, Caboolture for Medieval Family Fun Week
- Old Government House, QUT, Brisbane for To promote, excite and entice: the Miss Fisher public programs at Old Government House
- Museum of Brisbane for Indigenous Culture Learning Program
Sustainability: Organisations with Paid Staff
WINNER: Qantas Founders Museum, Longreach for Powering on Sustainably
Individuals: Paid Staff
WINNER: Virginia Gordon, Assistant Curator, Queensland Police Museum, Brisbane
- Tony Martin, CEO, Qantas Founders Museum, Longreach
- Jennifer Garcia, Communications & Programming Manager, Newstead House, Brisbane
Projects: Organisations Volunteer Run
WINNER: Texas Qld Inc for Restoration of Texas Rabbit Works
FINALIST: Lapunyah Art Gallery, Chinchilla for Exhibition Facilitators – In House Traineeship
Engagement: Organisations Volunteer Run
WINNER: Kilburnie Homestead, Jambin for Open Days
WINNER: Michael Strong, Senior Curator, Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology, Caboolture
FINALIST: William David Mason, Archivist, Beaudesert Museum, Historical Society of Beaudesert Inc.
Banner image above: GAMAA trophies on display at the Museum of Brisbane in November 2013. The GAMAA trophies are commissioned from a different Queensland artist/designer each year, through the generous sponsorship of Brian Tucker Accounting.
L-R back row: Lucas Salton, Craig Flood, Julie Shepherd, Joanna Bone.
L-R front row: Marc Harrison, Matt Dwyer, Elizabeth Shaw and Nick Ashby, Glen Skien, Donna Marcus. Photo: Chelsea Sipthorp.