M&G QLD is the peak professional body and key advocate for Queensland’s public museums and galleries. As a respected and informed voice, M&G QLD provides leadership, builds awareness and communicates the sector’s value to local, state, federal government, stakeholders and audiences.
Staff and Board members of M&G QLD regularly contribute to a range of cultural forums and reviews, to ensure that the museum and gallery sector is represented in the development of new policies, strategies and programs at a state and national level.
Staff members of M&G QLD are currently represented on:
- National Public Galleries Alliance.
- National Exhibitions Touring Support (NETS) Australia.
- National Standards Taskforce.
- Australian Museums and Galleries Associations (AMaGA) Emerging Professionals Network.
- Arts Queensland Industry Experts and Peers.
- Arts Queensland Arts Touring Panel.
- Regional Arts Fund Community Project Grants Assessment Panel.
- Regional Arts Working Group.
- National Archives of Australia, Queensland Community Consultative Committee.
- Griffith Centre for Cultural Research Advisory Board.
- Queensland Children’s Hospital Arts in Health Program Committee.
Contributions to the sector
M&G QLD Staff participate in and contribute to sector programs/events, such as:
- Delivery of sessions on Industry Networks and the National Standards for Australian Museums and Galleries to postgraduate Museum Studies students.
- Development and delivery of strategic planning workshops for Councils and sector organisations.
- Development and delivery of funding workshops for sector organisations.
- Assisting with the delivery of the Small Museums Conference.
- Contributing to Q-DIS: Queensland Disaster Information Network.
Projects and Research
M&G QLD provides an accurate profile of the sector through strategic data collection, research and evaluation to inform planning, benchmarking and advocacy. Some of M&G QLD’s projects and research include:
Australian Public Galleries Snapshot
The Australian Public Galleries Snapshot collates the data of 197 of our country’s estimated 408 small-to-medium public galleries. Published by the National Public Galleries Alliance, this report is the most detailed overview of our sector to date.
Annual Statistics Reports
Annual data from public museums and galleries across Queensland, comprising statistics on Audience and Engagement; Exhibitions and Displays; Staff and Volunteers.
A Practical Guide for Sustainable Climate Control and Lighting in Museums and Galleries
Aims to assist the sector to make informed decisions around viable, economically and environmentally sustainable methods of exhibition practice and collections care by identifying appropriate technologies, products and systems.
A Case Study on Lighting for Museums and Galleries
Five real-life examples to assist museums and galleries when upgrading or replacing their institution’s lighting systems.
Guess Who’s Going to the Gallery? Queensland Report
A study of 18 regional Queensland galleries and their visitors.