Resize textTwitterFacebook Instagram

2008 Standards Program Participants - Gold Coast and Scenic Rim

A key outcome from the 2008 Standards Program was the development of an improved media profile for participating organisations.

Beaudesert Historical Museum

Back to top

Beaudesert's Big Thing - 'Aussie Bee'

Beaudesert Historical Society, a volunteer organisation, was founded in 1961 to collect and record the history of the shire. Today they operate the Beaudesert Historical Museum and Visitor Information Centre in Brisbane Street Beaudesert. The site houses a number of buildings from the area and a collection of more than 10,000 donated objects, photographs and archival records relating to local settlement, industries and community history.

Address: 54 Brisbane Street, Beaudesert

Beenleigh & District Historical Society

Back to top

An organ donated by the Radke family and situated in Radke Cottage in the Village

Beenleigh Historical Village and Museum has over 20 buildings on site with historical significance to the local area. These include the original church, school, boot-makers shop, railway station, post office, jail, council chambers, and several historic cottages from the Beenleigh area.

The heritage buildings and village grounds contain: local farming & sugar machinery; artefacts connected to pioneer families; family photos and histories; a Beenleigh rum distillery display; a photographic record of Beenleigh Shire and Albert Shire; original war documents including a POW dog tag from Changi and an American Civil War display linking to the Beenleigh area.

Address: 205 Main Street, Beenleigh

Gold Coast & Hinterland Historical Museum

Back to top

Vincent Sheldon trial proof

The Gold Coast & Hinterland Historical Society museum is situated on Gold Coast heritage listed land in a side street off Bundall Road creating an oasis from the hustle and bustle of traffic using this busy major traffic thoroughfare less than two kilometres from the Surfers Paradise coastline.

The grounds were the site of an Aboriginal gathering place and are positioned on a remaining section of an extensive section of a sand dune that was formed 120,000 years ago. In addition to being the site of an Aboriginal midden, and a developing historical garden, the grounds were used as a cemetery for local sugarcane workers and remain a consecrated site though rezoned in 1972 for use as a Historical Society.

The gardens have been developed to represent pre & post European history on the site. These include wallum, littoral rainforest and banksia woodland and an edible plant path is planned. The museum was involved with the ABC Open Garden scheme in 2009.

These include the original studio of Vincent Sheldon, a prominent Queensland etcher; “Boowaggan” a reproduction of the Veivers family home, pioneers from the area; Dolan’s Barn, housing a collection of farming tools and machinery; Steam Engine building that displays two sawmill engines from the original Johnston and Freeman sawmill established in Southport in 1876; John Elliott building, which is the museum’s principal display area and new extension that houses items from the Pacific Cable Station Bauer St, Southport and is the display area for the extensive photo collection.

Address: 8 Elliott St, Surfers Paradise

Garden Hill at Lost World

Back to top

Example of a timber slide in use - watering the vegetable garden in front of "Ladybrook" Homestead c1930

Garden Hill at Lost World Museum is situated on a small property located in the Lost World Valley, about 32km south of Beaudesert. The Museum buildings are mainly split slab and galvanised iron and have been re-erected. These have been adapted for use as exhibition spaces for historical displays and art.

The Museum has a wide-ranging collection drawn from the Kerry Valley and rural Queensland which includes farming machinery, timber industry equipment, horse drawn vehicles, harness and saddles, tools, household items, toys and photographs.

Address: 3268 Kerry Rd, Darlington

Rathdowney Historical Museum (RADHA Inc)

Back to top

Fred Johnson cream truck

The Rathdowney Historical Museum was opened in November 1984 and is housed in the Information Centre building, formally the Commercial Bank of Australia, Rathdowney Branch 1911-1978.

The collection relates to local history including pioneering families, pioneering women, timber & dairying industries, and artifacts from the local region since settlement from the 1860s onwards.

A collection of historic buildings from around the local area include the Rathdowney Tramway Station, Glenapp & Dulbolla Railway Sidings and a Hut from the Palen Creek Prison Farm. These buildings house an interesting range of objects that were used in everyday life and include a horse-drawn buggy, bullock wagon, drays and wagons.

Address: Rathdowney Historical Museum, 82 Mt Lindesay Highway, Rathdowney

Tamborine Mountain Heritage Centre

Back to top

Scale model of the Curtis sawmillwhich was driven by a waterwheel

The Tamborine Mountain Heritage Centre is dedicated specifically to the history of Tamborine Mountain. The collection is housed thematically in a number of buildings: Pioneer Hall (a weatherboard re-located church), the Auditorium (meeting space, storage for documents and archives), Machinery Hall, Shop, Dairy and Blacksmith, Slab Cottage and an open style machinery shed. The shop, slab cottage and blacksmith shop are reconstructions of typical structures of the period of early settlement, from the 1880s onwards. The dairy is an actual relocated dairy typical of the structure and machinery used on Tamborine and in much of Southeast Queensland.

Address: Wongawallan Rd, Eagle Heights

Upper Clarence Historical Society Pioneer Cottage & Bicentennial Museum

Back to top

A Chinese urn which may be from the Tooloom gold diggings of the 1860s. The Society is researching the provenance of this item further.

The Upper Clarence Historical Society was established to collect and record the history of the region and to provide a resource of knowledge, ideas, stories and memories of its early settlers.

The Upper Clarence Historical Precinct contains two buildings: a pioneer cottage and the bicentennial museum. The cottage of Cuthbert and Mary Lamb was constructed of local timbers at Legume in 1892 and was moved to its present site in Urbenville in 1977. In 1980 (in time for the cottage’s centenary celebrations in 1982) its separate kitchen building was also brought to the site. The cottage buildings display a collection of early pioneer local domestic life and memorials of local World War I servicemen.

The Bicentennial Museum houses collections reflecting the region’s gold mining, timber and dairy industries as well as the social history of the local communities. The historical society is currently researching the significance of the collections in order to better display the objects and their local stories.

Address: Urben St, Urbenville

Yugambeh Museum, Language & Heritage Research Centre

Back to top

Pearl-shell carved by Yugambehfisherman, 2005. Represents 'Gwonda' the white-finned dolphin - hunter of fish.

The Yugambeh Museum is committed to the conservation and promotion of the cultural heritage of the traditional Aboriginal people of the Yugambeh Language Region. The region extends from the Tweed River in the south to the Logan River in the north and west.

The Museum’s collections include ancient and contemporary artefacts, art pieces, family histories, archival records and photographs and an extensive library of books, audio and video tapes and CDs relating to the shared Aboriginal and European history of the region. Great emphasis has been given to the collection of records relating to Yugambeh and other languages of Southeast Queensland. It prides itself on being a keeping place for information relating to the local Yugam language, which Museum founders have gathered since it was thought extinct in the 1980s.

Address: 2 Plantation Rd, Beenleigh

 

Museums & Galleries Queensland
122 Gerler Road
Hendra QLD 4011

t: (07) 3059 9740 / Freecall within QLD: 1800 866 101
e: information@magsq.com.au

ABN: 32 109 874 811
ACN: 109 874 811

M&G QLD is supported by

© 2018 Museums & Galleries Queensland
Web design ToadShow