Curator – Expression of Interest
Museums & Galleries Queensland (M&G QLD), in partnership with Logan Art Gallery, is seeking expressions of interest from independent curators to provide curatorial services for its new touring exhibition project. The exhibition will launch at Logan Art Gallery in late 2018 and tour nationally until 2021.
Approximately every four years, M&G QLD develops its own touring exhibition to fill gaps within the national touring exhibition circuit, informed by extensive industry consultations with its Queensland constituency.
This new touring initiative aims to showcase and build demand for high-quality contemporary sculptural work by Australian artists to audiences nationally.
It will bring together a strong selection of new/recent works by 8–12 high-calibre emerging, mid career and established contemporary Australian artists. It is envisaged that each artist will show a number of new works/installation rather than a single work.
The touring exhibition will be supported by an exhibition catalogue, education resource, website (including filmed artist interviews), media kit, sculpture symposium, and artist/curator talks.
This exhibition is subject to funding. M&G QLD is sourcing project grants, philanthropic partners and sponsors to develop and realise this initiative.
The successful curator will be engaged on a contract basis. He/she is expected to have a sound knowledge of Australian contemporary sculpture and will be required to develop the group exhibition in consultation with M&G QLD.
The curator’s role will include the development of the exhibition rationale, including but not limited to:
- The selection of artists and art works
- Preparation of a curatorial essay and other interpretative materials
- Provision of necessary materials to assist M&G QLD with funding / sponsorship proposals
- Presentation of a paper at the planned sculpture symposium
- Participation in related public programs negotiated as part of the national tour
A detailed timeline for the project will be developed by M&G QLD in consultation with the curator, however the successful applicant will be required to submit a detailed exhibition proposal and have completed the artist selection by the end of January 2018.
HOW TO APPLY:
Expressions of Interest close 5pm, Friday 22 September 2017 and must include the following:
- A current CV listing curatorial projects and experience.
- An overall approach to the exhibition of approximately 500 words outlining proposed themes/topics to be explored, including what the curator will bring to the project. (A detailed description and full list of artists is not required at this stage, however an indication of potential key artists would be helpful in demonstrating the applicant’s approach.)
- Proposed fee structure.
As part of the selection process, applicants may be required to meet to discuss their proposal with M&G QLD and project partners. This can occur in person or via teleconference. Negotiations regarding the curator’s fee may form part of this discussion and will be guided by the available funding/budget.
Applicants are encouraged to contact M&G QLD’s Executive Director, Rebekah Butler, in advance of submitting their Expression of Interest on ph: 07 3059 9744 (Monday – Thursday) freecall: 1800 866 101 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Expression of interest should be addressed to:
M&G QLD Executive Director
122 Gerler Road
Hendra, QLD 4011
or emailed to email@example.com