- 121 Charlotte St, Cooktown QLD 4895
- Postal address
- PO Box 595, Cooktown QLD 4895
- Opening hours
- Monday - Saturday; 9am - 3pm
- Adults $5
The Cooktown History Centre resides in the former Shire Offices in Charlotte Street. Built in 1876 as the first Post and Telegraph Office in Cooktown, it is the oldest surviving building in Charlotte Street.
The Centre is the location for a number of functions and facilities of the Cooktown and District Historical Society (CDHS): Cooktown through the years: A comprehensive display details the history of Cooktown’s establishment; archives and research facility; storage for original materials; a library of publications about Cooktown and District; staff office and facilities; local publications and souvenirs for sale.
The archive and research centre is the key function of the CDHS. It stores originals and copies of images and documents pertaining to Cooktown and Palmer River history, dating from 1874. All information continues to be entered into databases for ease of searching. To date, there are about 50 tables with over 60,000 names. CDHS offers research assistance for anyone enquiring about family history and also local history.
The display is a more recent addition to the function of the CDHS. The current exhibition is a product of all of the research by the CDHS into Cooktown’s events, natural disasters, people, local Indigenous history and involvement in the First and Second World Wars, using over 600 images. A diorama of Cooktown in 1874 brings together a collection of 14 images of Cooktown’s beginning, gathered from a number of Australian libraries for the very first time.
A dedicated team of 14 volunteers undertakes the work of the Centre, including the management.