Resize textTwitterFacebook WordPress Blog

Lit Sing Gung Chinese Temple

Location
10 Owen Street, Innisfail, QLD 4860
Postal address
10 Owen Street, Innisfail, QLD 4860
Opening hours
Mon-Fri 9am-3pm, Sat-Sun 9am-11.30am
Admission
Free
Facilties


The Lit Sing Gung Temple is an original art deco building constructed in 1940 by the renowned construction firm the Romano Bros. after the original Temple was badly damaged in several cyclones, flood & fire. Most of the Temple artefacts date from 1896 and originate from China. They represent deities of the Taoist, Confucian and Buddhist traditions.

Until recent years the Temple was the home of Ah Buks, elderly Chinese men who lived out their lives in exile in Australia, supported by the Chinese men who lived out their lives in exile in Australia, supported by the Chinese community, as they had failed to make their fortune from the gold rushes and could not rejoin their families empty handed.

The Temple is still open 365 days a year and is the only one in Far North Queensland providing an authentic haven for worship and celebrations. On appropriate days, candles and joss sticks are lit and gifts of symbolic paper money are burnt in the offering urn (ding) in the Temple garden.

 

Museums & Galleries Queensland
122 Gerler Road
Hendra QLD 4011

t: (07) 3059 9740 / Freecall within QLD: 1800 866 101
e: information@magsq.com.au

ABN: 32 109 874 811
ACN: 109 874 811

M&G QLD is supported by

© 2017 Museums & Galleries Queensland
Web design ToadShow