The Zara Clark Museum's unique features include:
- All of the displayed items have been donated by people either from Charters Towers or its surrounding district.
- The history of the local area is told through the objects on display.
- The Museum is operated totally by volunteers for the National Trust of Queensland and do all tasks from front-of-house to conservation work, maintenance and tours.
- The Museum is housed in a pair of heritage buildings dating from 1883.
- The Museum incorporates a large Military display, the Charles Wallis Military Collection.
- Visitors are encouraged to share their knowledge of items and often send information to add to the displays.