- 17 Kelman Street, Taroom QLD 4420
- Opening hours
- By request (most days of the year except ANZAC day)
- Adult $5; Child $1; gold coin donation on Open Days
Our Museum is situated within a short walk of the mighty Dawson River. We have 8 buildings including the original St. Mary’s Church built 1893. Cut in half & moved on logs by bullocks 2klm to top of Bonner’s Nob in 1920, then cut in half again & moved 1klm to this site in 1970.
The museum also contains the Jongh Tai Shue’s Confectionary & Bakery shop; the ‘Slab & Pole’ Reynolds Cottage c1895, which was moved into town c1900; a Blacksmith Shed; original Row Boat of 1874 & it’s Boat House, Hospital Room, original 1877 Lock Up & Taroom War Memorial built c1973.
The buildings house a collection of Taroom memorabilia, including tools, photographs, needlework, household items, shell collection, war related items, school work, aboriginal artefacts, maps, ledgers, textile, etc – a diverse collection overall. We also have original early pioneering implements, machinery used in the district for many purposes, buggies, wagons and opening in 2021, the original School Building (the Teaching Room) built 1870.
Open Days: 3rd Saturday in May is a QLD Heritage Festival event, last Saturday & Sunday in September is Dawson River Festival time.