Resize textTwitterFacebook WordPress Blog

2007 Standards Program Participants - Far North Queensland

The 2007 Standards Pilot was conducted with museums in Far North Queensland: Cairns Historical Society Museum, Johnstone Shire Library, Innisfail Friends of the Temple, Mulgrave Settlers Museum, Cairns & District Chinese Association Inc. & Croydon Heritage Centre

Cairns Historical Society Museum

Back to top

Cairns Historical Society Museum 2005

What the Standards Program has meant for our Museum

• We plan to update our strategic plan and finalise our Museum Action Plan to include improved collection documentation and conservation measures.

• The Museum also plans to enhance the visitor experience by providing improved captions and downloadable audio tours of displays.

• With the Reviewers we identified the importance of researching information for object files on key museum objects.

Did You Know?

• The Cairns Historical Society Library has an extensive collection of over 20 000 documents and 16 000 photographs, available to researchers. Many of these have been digitised and are available on a searchable database.

• The Museum displays a unique collection of Aboriginal rainforest artefacts, including swords and shields found only in the North Queensland area.

• The Museum has a specially designed enclosed trailer containing a selection of artefacts which they tour around schools for presentations on Cairns history.

For a full Museum Profile and media release regarding the completion of the 2007 Standards Pilot Program see the links below.

Contact Details

Address: First Floor, School of Arts Building, City Place, Cairns
Postal Address: PO Box 319 Cairns QLD 4870
Phone: 07 4051 5582
Fax: 07 4051 5586
Open: Monday-Saturday 10am - 4pm

Cairns and District Chinese Association Inc. (CADCAI)

Back to top

Detail of the Lit Sung Goong altar table which was sponsored in 1886 by 19 Cairns residents

What the Standards Program has meant for our Museum

We have gained further knowledge and understanding of best museum practice. Our Heritage Group is preparing written policies for all aspects of museum and collection management. Our achievements include:

• identifying management priorities

• developing action plans

• preparing collection policies and procedures

• furthering our knowledge to develop our strategic and business plans

• The recognition for the work we have already done during the past six years. It is important to us that our efforts are recognised and encouraged.

Did You Know?

• Grafton Street in Cairns was the site of the largest Chinatown in Queensland during the late 19th century. It was home to two Chinese temples. The furnishings of one temple, the Lit Sung Goong, have been preserved by the Cairns and District Chinese Assoc. Inc.

• The collection has recently been catalogued electronically, professionally photographed and offers great research potential in the areas of Chinese history, art, culture and religious practices.

• Artefacts from the Lit Sung Goong Temple are on display at the Cairns Historical Society Museum in the Cairns City Place.

For a full Museum Profile and media release regarding the completion of the 2007 Standards Pilot Program see the links below.

Contact Details

Address: 103 Grafton St Cairns
Postal Address: P.O.Box 5951 Cairns 4870
Phone: 07 4056 5325 (President, Chan Lai Chu) or 4032 3364 (Mary Low)
Fax: 07 4032 3364
Open: By appointment only

Innisfail Friends of the Temple

Back to top

The altar of the Lit Sing Gung Temple in Owen Street Innisfail

What the Standards Program has meant for our Museum

• We are now focused on collecting the oral and written histories of the Chinese community within the region. There is a wealth of untold stories within the Chinese community in Innisfail and this will be a wonderful project.

• We are also refining our acquisition policy and streamlining our processes. We have realised that we need to concentrate on the stories, photos and objects with a history of relevance to the temple.

Did You Know?

• The Friends collection includes the Dora See Poy Collection. The See Poys are a well known pioneer family in the area. The family once ran the major shop in Innisfail, the See Poy Emporium, and were the major employers in Innisfail for many years. Innisfail's Chinese heritage includes the See Poy residence. The Dora See Poy collection includes photographs, clothes and original shop fittings.

• The Lit Sing Gung Temple is still a practicing temple, open 365 days per year. Tai chi classes operate from the site, as does a shop.

• The Lit Sing Gung Chinese Temple custodians and Friends of the Temple have a long-term refurbishment plan, which includes the Temple grounds Chinese gardens, a tea house and a pavilion open for community access.

• The Friends collection includes three original Chinese altar gods, and a collection of Chinese seals.

For a full Museum Profile and media release regarding the completion of the 2007 Standards Pilot Program see the links below.

Contact Details

Address: Owen St, Innisfail
Postal Address: PO Box 2865 Innisfail QLD 4860
Phone: Gill Snape 4061 9228, Nola Jappe 4063 3900, Janet Elders 4064 5284
Open: Daily Temple 9am-5pm Tai chi on Mondays 4-5pm Shop Mon 4-5pm & Sat 9-11am.

Johnstone Shire Library

Back to top

Johnstone Shire Library Exterior

What the Standards Program has meant for our Museum

• We have recognised the need for community involvement. We have come to recognise that telling the stories of the community will involve a greater involvement of community members and organisations in developing and researching local history material.

• The development of a prioritised action plan will allow staff to focus their efforts to achieve an accessible and usable local history collection in a reasonable time frame.

Did You Know?

• The Library collects modern reference books on Art Deco design, including architecture and other topics such as Art Deco jewellery. They are a useful reference for understanding the development of this style of architecture, which is prevalent in the design of public buildings in Johnstone Shire.

• The Library collection includes photographs of the aftermath of cyclones from 1918, 1986 and 2006. Innisfail has suffered the effects of several major cyclones and these photos show the power of such events.

• The Library collection includes local newspapers from 1928, accessible to the public in microfilm and hard copy. The newspapers give accounts of local events and people over a long period of Innisfail's history.

For a full Museum Profile and media release regarding the completion of the 2007 Standards Pilot Program see the links below.

Contact Details

Address: Allan Maruff House, 49 Rankin Street, Innisfail Qld 4860
Phone: 07 4030 2249 
Fax: 07 4061 2078
Open: Monday-Saturday Mon 10-5, Tue 8.30-5, Wed 8.30-5, Thu 8.30-6, Fri 8.30-5, Sat 9-12

Mulgrave Settlers Museum

Back to top

Mulgrave Shire Historical Society logo

What the Standards Program has meant for our Museum

• Participating in the Standards Program has increased our awareness of standards of museum work on a day-to-day basis. Now we often get together to plan our activities and improve communication.

• Recognition of the significance and value of objects and the museum collection. We have selected five objects of significance from our collection that will be of great assistance in promoting the museum in the future.

Did You Know?

• The Museum collection includes a soft drink bottle from the first soft drink manufacturer in Gordonvale (then Nelson). The bottle features the manufacturer's trademark M.Muir Nelson Qld.

• The Museum collection includes an early 1900s wages book, and mill ledgers showing farmers accounts, from the Mulgrave Central Mill.

• The Museum collection includes a girls' fancy dress costume from 1924 printed with the news of the day at the local Cairns Post Press. The calico dress began life as a suit printed for a gentleman for a special occasion, but during the Depression it was recycled into a dress, reflecting the ingenuity and skill of local needlewomen.

• The Museum collection includes a linen table cloth, embroidered with the signatures of the guests at an Anglican Church function in Gordonvale during WWII. The signatures include those of the 503rd American Paratroopers, who were stationed in Gordonvale during the war.

For a full Museum Profile and media release regarding the completion of the 2007 Standards Pilot Program see the links below.

Contact Details

Address: 60 Gordon St, Gordonvale
Postal Address: PO Box 566 Gordonvale 4865
Phone: 07 4056 1810
Fax: 07 4056 1889
Open: Monday - Saturday 10am - 2pm

Croydon Heritage Centre

Back to top

Croydon Heritage Precinct Streetscape

What the Standards Program has meant for our Museum

• The Standards Program has helped us to improve our policies and assisted in future planning for our displays, including the correct storage and documentation of our collection.

• We have developed stronger networks through the Standards Program. Meeting the other participants at the Standards workshop and building networks has been very valuable for sharing and developing ideas.

Did You Know?

• Croydon Heritage Centre has on display two locally made wooden coffins dating from c.1920. Undertaking was busy during the height of the gold rush days of the late 1880s with hearses regularly passing each other going into and out of the cemetery.

• Croydon Heritage Centre has a large collection of genealogical information on Croydon families, dating back from 1886. The geneaological database has over 17 000 names, with many more to be added. The Centre also has some school records which pertain to the first ten years of Croydon State School and the first 6 years of the Golden Gate Provisional School.

• Croydon had one of the largest rural based Chinese settlements in Queensland during the gold rush of the late 1800s. The Croydon temple site has the second largest pig oven in the southern hemisphere. The temple area is now an archaeological site and has interesting and informative interpretation to help visitors gain an understanding of what was once a vibrant community.

For a full Museum Profile and media release regarding the completion of the 2007 Standards Pilot Program see the links below.

Contact Details

Address: Samwell St, Croydon
Postal Address: PO Box 17 Croydon QLD 4871
Phone: 07 4745 6125
Fax: 07 4745 6147
Open: Daily, April to October, all other times of the year, 5 days per week, 8.30am - 5.00pm

 

Museums & Galleries Queensland
122 Gerler Road
Hendra QLD 4011

t: (07) 3059 9740 / Freecall within QLD: 1800 866 101
e: information@magsq.com.au

ABN: 32 109 874 811
ACN: 109 874 811

M&G QLD is supported by

© 2017 Museums & Galleries Queensland
Web design ToadShow