Resize textTwitterFacebook Instagram

2006 Standards Program Participants - South East Queensland

Abbey Museum of Art & Archaeology

Back to top

Cartonage Death Mask, Egypt c1075-332bc

The Museum is a fine arts and archaeology museum with international collections derived from Britain’s first social history museum “The Abbey Folk Park” (1934-45). 

It contains significant and varied collections of;
-medieval, renaissance and Pre-Raphaelite stained glass (including glass from Winchester Cathedral)
-prehistoric antiquities dating back 500,000 years
-Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Persian and classical antiquities
-Old Masters including works by School of Sassetta, Rubens, Van Honquist, Tintoretto and others
-some fifty 19th century paintings by the Royal Watercolour Society
-Japanese swords and armour; picture books by Shigemasa and Hokusai
-wooden sculpture from Cheveley Manor, a post-Stuart ducal house
-masonry from the Rosary Palace of Edward II (ca. 1320)
-a large collection of British Bronze Age weapons
-12th century sandstone sculptures from Java
-a series of medieval illuminated manuscripts from Europe and Asia and a rare miniature of Charles I following his execution (1649).

Address: 1-63 The Abbey Place, Caboolture

Kingaroy Heritage Museum

Back to top

Young's Peanut Thresher c1928

Kingaroy’s landmark “Peanut Silos” tower over the Museum, creating a magnet for the visitor seeking information about these giants and the industry they symbolise.

The Museum is housed in the old Kingaroy Power House Building (1925-1952), and the main focus of the museum is the history of the peanut industry. This is depicted by the collection of agricultural machinery showing the ingenuity and inventiveness of local farmers and tradesmen.

The Museum’s comprehensive collection includes machinery invented by locals out of a need for suitable implements to plant and harvest the peanut crops. Machinery includes a Bicycle Powered Thresher, built in 1909, an American made wheat thresher, converted by a local farmer to thresh peanuts, and a Stationary Peanut Thresher designed and built on a local farm by the farmer Mr Harry Young, in the late 1920s.

Address: 124 Haly St, Kingaroy

Landsborough Museum - A Caloundra City Heritage Centre

Back to top

The Landsborough Museum and Stan Tutt reading room are located in the heritage listed Landsborough Shire Chambers which were designed by noted Architect Walter Carey Voller and constructed by Alf Round in 1924, using local timbers. The museum and research collections relate to all aspects of the history of the Landsborough area, and are open and accessible to everyone.

The Museum collections include treasures such as the Frank Nicklin, William Landsborough and John Tytherleigh collections, the first Caloundra typesetter, significant examples of historical costume and textiles, and a one legged spade.

In addition the exhibition space features a mural by local artist Gundars Eglantals. The Stan Tutt reading room holds a wealth of archival material including publications, images and research data that allow specialisation in local and family history.

Address: Maleny St, Landsborough

Logan City Historical Museum Society Inc.

Back to top

Kingston Butter Factory complex

The Logan City Historical Museum Society Inc, a volunteer organisation, shares the old Kingston Butter Factory building with a Craft Centre, performance space and a refreshment kiosk. The Kingston Butter Factory was built in 1906 with production of butter commencing in 1907. Peak production was reached in 1934, with 3,367 tons of butter produced in that year. Production ceased in 1983 owing to urbanisation, ending an important era in the development of Logan City.

The most important items in the collection are without doubt the full set of Southern Queensland Dairy Cooperative records from 1906 through to close of operations.

Address: Kingston Butter Factory, 23 Milky Way

Queensland Ambulance Museum - Wynnum

Back to top

Queensland Ambulance Museums - Wynnum

Queensland Ambulance Museums – Wynnum is the first of its kind to be established in Australia and is now one of several within Queensland. The museums demonstrate a tradition of close reciprocal support between the Ambulance Service and the community, through the presentation of the story of close community relations, community operations, clinical links, educational links and strong community support that feature in the history of Queensland Ambulance.

The exhibits show the progress of ambulance development, which has taken us from the simple first aid kits, and basic clinical practices of the nineteenth century to the defibrillators and complex clinical practices of the twenty-first century. The museum shows the transition from the hand held stretcher, through the hand-wheeled litter, jingles towing litters, to motorised ambulances.

The Museum has several historic ambulance vehicles in the collection, including a 1926 Arrol Johnson (Scottish) ambulance.

Address: 33 Tingal Rd, Wynnum

Redland Museum

Back to top

Halladay Standard wooden windmill

The Redland Museum was officially opened in 1970, and since then has grown through eight stages of expansion to its present size of 1 450 square metres. The Museum and research collections relate to all aspects of the history of the Redland Shire from 1842 until the present.

The Museum collection of 13 000 objects includes treasures such as a rare working example of a wooden Halladay Standard pumping windmill that has been lovingly restored; a bell from an historic local sugar cane plantation; Captain Louis Hope’s harmonium; an early example of a Cleveland Bakery cart; a 1930s railcar of the type which ran the Brisbane to Cleveland Line, and a working Garrett portable steam engine from 1900. Temporary exhibitions change every six to eight weeks.

Address: 60 Smith St, Cleveland


Museums & Galleries Queensland
122 Gerler Road
Hendra QLD 4011

t: (07) 3059 9740 / Freecall within QLD: 1800 866 101

ABN: 32 109 874 811
ACN: 109 874 811

M&G QLD is supported by

© 2021 Museums & Galleries Queensland
Web design ToadShow