- Cooneana Heritage Centre
- Ipswich Hospital Museum
- Ipswich Soldiers' Memorial Hall Museum
- Jessie's Cottage Local History Museum
- Lockyer Valley Art Gallery
- RAAF Amberley Aviation Heritage Centre
Six organisations in the Ipswich and Lockyer Valley regions completed the 2018 Standards Review Program. The following participating museums and galleries worked through the year-long program, which assisted them to recognise their achievements, improve their practice and raise their profile.
Cooneana Heritage Centre
Cooneana Heritage Centre, managed by Ipswich Historical Society, is a historically significant site in Ipswich. Cooneana Homestead, built in 1868, still stands and the 1974 Rhondda Collieries head office building forms one of the main display spaces for Ipswich Historical Society’s collection.
The Centre accommodates a great display of mining machinery and exhibits about coal mining – a significant industry in Ipswich – are available in the Rhondda building. There are several separate houses and former offices in which commercial, social, cultural and educational histories of Ipswich are displayed.
Brighton House is home to the Ipswich Historical Society Spinners and Weavers who are always ready to encourage people to learn the age-old crafts of spinning, weaving, dying and felting.
Jim Donald house is an early twentieth century miner’s cottage and is furnished with artefacts that were familiar to our grandparents and great-grandparents.
A Blacksmith shop where blacksmiths demonstrate traditional skills in metalwork operates on Saturdays.
Address: 1041 Redbank Plains Rd, New Chum QLD 4303
Opening Hours: Thu-Sat 10am-2pm, 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month in Mar-Nov 10am-2pm
Admission Cost: Adults $5, Children under 12 free
Phone: 07 3282 0358
Ipswich Hospital Museum
Ipswich Hospital Museum offers a display of Ipswich Hospital artifacts concerning the history of the Ipswich Hospital its people and their stories. See instruments, equipment, documents and photographs from 1860 to current times. See and hear how Ipswich Hospital treated your parents through to your great-great-great-grandparents as patients and staff.
Address: Ground floor, Jubilee Building, Ipswich Hospital, East St, Ipswich QLD 4305
Opening Hours: Wednesday 9am-12pm and by appointment
Admission Cost: Free
Ipswich Soldiers' Memorial Hall Museum
The museum is located in the soldiers memorial hall building first opened on 26 November 1921. It occupies two floors of the building. On entering you see the crypt and houour boards, moving further into the museum you arrive in the main hall where our stained glass window can be viewed. This hall also contains a collection of original paintings commemorating the light horse.
On the second floor is a large collection of uniforms, photos, display cases and several rooms with theme displays. We have an extensive collection of handmade postcards from World War 1 and several dairies from soldiers who served during WW1.
Address: 63 Nicholas St, Ipswich QLD 4305
Opening Hours: Last Sunday of the month 9am-3pm (except Jan & Dec)
Admission Cost: Free
Phone: 07 3281 4159
Jessie's Cottage Local History Museum
Jessie’s Cottage was built by Scottish immigrant William Taylor in 1899, two years after he purchased the land. From that time throughout the occupancy of the Taylor Family and Jessie, who lived alone in the cottage for forty years (d. 1966), no recognisable changes occurred.
By 1996 the cottage was in bad repair and in danger of being demolished. The Murphys Creek community stepped in and successfully obtained funding to restore the cottage.
In 2010 the Murphys Creek Neighbourhood Centre (the managers) decided to open the historic cottage to the public. They welcomed their first visitors 6 months after the January 2011 flood event.
The aim and purpose of the Jessie's Cottage Local History Museum is to educate, entertain and inform visitors to the area of the long, fascinating and turbulent history of settlement, railway building and development in the Upper Lockyer/Murphys Creek area over 170 years.
Address: 18 Jessie Lane, Murphys Creek QLD 4352
Opening Hours: Sat 10am-1pm, Sun 10am-3pm
Admission Cost: Gold coin donation
Phone: 07 4630 5703
Lockyer Valley Art Gallery
Located in the Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre at Lake Apex, the Lockyer Valley Art Gallery is a public gallery that operates under the auspice of local government, the Lockyer Valley Regional Council. The gallery supports the valley’s local artists as well as visiting artists from further afield, including travelling exhibitions.
The gallery is modern with moveable walls that can change the design of the gallery and its feel to suit each exhibition. Our doors opened in 2009. Every six weeks a new and exciting exhibition awaits.
The space is large allowing for artists to contribute substantial works and for viewers to be able to explore and absorb artwork in a relaxing and peaceful environment.
Address: Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre, 34 Lake Apex Dr, Gatton QLD 4343
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Sat 9am-12pm
Admission Cost: Free
Phone: 07 5466 3434
RAAF Amberley Aviation Heritage Centre
Opened in June 2011, the RAAF Base Amberley Aviation Heritage Centre displays a range of aircraft that have operated from Amberley. These aircraft include F-111, Canberra bombers, World War II Boston bomber, Caribou, Pilatus Porter, Sioux and Iroquois helicopters. Other aircraft on display include a Winjeel, Macchi, Sabre, Mirage, replica Spitfire and a replica World War I Sopwith Camel.
In addition, the Centre displays a range of aircraft engines from World War II to the present, ground support equipment, vehicles, and other memorabilia.
The Centre also has an aircraft restoration capability where a number of aircraft undergo restoration before going on display at Amberley and other RAAF Aviation Heritage Centres.
Address: RAAF Base Amberley, Southern Amberley Rd, Amberley QLD 4306
Opening Hours: Third Sunday of the month, Jan-Nov 9am-3pm and
by appointment on Tue & Thu 9am-3pm
Admission Cost: Free
Phone: 1800 623 306